Thursday 28 February 2013

Bird Scarers and Buzzards


February is possibly the worst month of the year for the airgun hunter. Winters die-back is at its maximum. Cold winds pierce even the densest thickets and very few wild creatures venture from drey or nest or den for long. The crops are at a cusp. The winter beet or barley long since drawn from the soil and the spring shoots now battling to break through the hoary, brittle earth. Those that do are plucked and plundered by legions of  sharp-beaked rooks and gluttonous wood-pigeons. As I wander the fields and spinneys, I thank the lord for my solid constitution as the bird-scarers are dotted all over. Hidden in hedgerow and hollow, it pays to know where these little cannons are and how often they are set to fire. If you find yourself close to one accidently .. and it discharges .. you’ll hope you’ve tied the ankles of your cargo pants!

The close of this dank, grey month is marked with the signs of re-birth and regeneration. With the slightest hint of sunshine, songbirds chase and flutter like the opening scene of a Disney movie. Out on the open plough, the brown hares (or ’dewhoppers’ as they are often called locally) are starting the courting game. Over the next few weeks they’ll be chasing and boxing. Contrary to popular belief this isn’t the hares equivalent of the deer rut .. males fighting for territory and supremacy. The one throwing the punches is normally the feisty female resisting a males amorous advances. Nothing new there then!

This time of year normally sees me busy with the camera and catching up on shoot housekeeping. I’ll be walking my shooting permissions clearing regular stalking paths of briar suckers, cutting back intrusive branches, oiling squeaky gates and removing those exposed stretches of barbed wire revealed in the grass. Anything to make a quiet and unobstructed traverse of the land easier when the growth returns. While the foliage is at its full ebb, I will check all the warrens and identify the live buries. I’ll mark last years magpie and jays nests .. for both are likely to build again nearby. If they survived my attention last season they might not be so lucky this year.

This year I’m praying that the rabbits return in numbers. Last years dearth here in Norfolk has left me with a depleted freezer and I like my free coney meat! Though this winters roost shooting has put plenty of pigeon breasts in there, they need the compliment of rabbit in a pie or casserole. Signs so far are good. A few kits about (rabbits breed in every month now) and both they and the parents look healthy. Much as it would pain my farmers, for the first time ever I have imposed a short close season on coneys. I could have shot two plump adults on todays walkabout but chose to let what looked fit and clean coneys survive to breed. I would far rather farm them and collect good, healthy meat later than simply annihilate them.

I was delighted to see a pair of courting buzzards over the farm I walked today. Some readers may find that a strange statement but it has taken nearly 20 years for the buzzard to re-establish a good presence out here in the East. Buzzards, to me, mean rabbits and vice-versa. The raptors presence is an indicator of ecological diversity and I can forgive it the theft of the odd pheasant poult. Last week, while roost shooting, I dropped a pigeon onto the woodland floor with a long shot. I left it there to wait for others flighting in. After a minute or two I saw a grey head bobbing through the brash on the floor. Damn it! I’d winged the pigeon and was about to set off on that ’chase to despatch’ scenario when suddenly a huge dark bird ghosted down from the canopy and clasped onto the pigeon. The buzzard must have been watching me for ages. The bird stared at me for a half a minute, that angry yellow eye telling me “That, sir, is how to finish a pigeon!”. Then he took off and floated out of the copse, leaving the dead pigeon where it laid .. and leaving me flabbergasted.
 
 

1 comment: