Tuesday 26 February 2013

Fools Gold


Despite a dreary, grey cloud-smothered day I was keen to give my lurcher, Dylan, a good walk today and take a break from shooting. Once I’d decided where to go, I then faced the dilemna of which lens to add to the camera. When I shoot, I take one of choice of gun. I’m the same when I photograph. I take one lens. My destination, deep in summer, demands a middle of the road ’macro to zoom’ glass (such as my Sigma 18-250mm) to cover the wealth of opportunities normally encountered for wildlife photography. Today, however, with the vegetation still in die-back and yet to re-birth, the open heathland I expected suggested a long zoom. I snapped the 80-400mm Nikkor onto my D7000 and hoped I’d made the right choice.

Tucked away in the middle of North Norfolk, just half an hours drive from the centre of Norwich, there is a little gem of a wildlife haven known as Buxton Heath. Managed by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, the small (165 acre) site could have been lifted from the middle of Dartmoor and dropped among the arable farmland and woodland that surround it. Though predominantly sandy heathland, its rich diversity of habitat plays host to some wildlife rare to much of Norfolk. I rarely visit in winter and today it was, at first glance, a bleak and desolate place. As we (the dog and I) set off across the heath one of the Heathlings (for so the volunteers are nicknamed) was doing strange, unmentionable things with a tractor and tine. As I looked around at the felling, ripped up gorse and wanton slaughter of habitat I did wonder what the hell the game-plan was? I’m hugely biased but I couldn’t help but think that if this little piece of England was turned over to a shooting syndicate it would be even richer in fauna. But .. what the hell do I know?

Anyway, the Heathling looked on in disapproval as I released the lurcher and held him close to my heel on a verbal leash. ‘Animals grazing .. please keep dogs on a lead’ is a fair call to the general public but Dylan, at nearly 10 years old, can be called off a rabbit at five paces .. such is his training. We scouted up the incline, up toward the centre of the heath and the tractor resumed its vandalism. Two completely polarised rebels with a wildlife cause had just exchanged a nod of the head and continued with their anarchy. With respect to the warning sign, I had an eye out for the ponies. Yes .. Buxton Heath has wild ponies, too. I had an eye out because they pose more of a danger to the dog than he does to them. You can call a dog away from a pony but you can’t call a pony away from a dog!

The dogs nose ploughed a long furrow through the sandy floor simply because the surface is littered with rabbit sign. I’ve never seen a living rabbit here, ever. Yet there must be thousands judging by the currants. The warrens beneath the gorse must come alive after dark. Nor have I ever seen a hare here, though they are abundant on the surrounding crops. We walked on and after a while I stopped, simply to listen. I was right in the middle of the site. Nothing moved. The sound was amazing. Unbelievable. Total silence. No birdsong.
 
In summer, at this same spot, I have heard  the pretty yellowhammers ‘littlebitofbreadandnocheeeese’ and chaffinch song. Blackcaps, warblers and titmice flit amongst the ling. Stonechats perch on the gorse. Today .. nothing. We walked across the top of the mini-moor toward the distant wood. I diverted across the top of the sphagnum mire that sits in a hollow on the east of the heath. One of my favourite spots. Last winter there were woodcock aplenty here. In autumn I have accidentally flushed jack-snipe. So far today I had seen nothing but overhead woodies. Not a wren, not a robin, not a single living creature. I was in a wildlife desert. Before entering the wood I checked an area where, when I lasted visited, there were brash-piles and stacked tree stumps. 
 
I have photographed common lizards basking on top of these. The stumps had been removed and the ground turned over. A strip of dark, loamy plough .. but laid to what harvest? Bracken? For in summer, bracken strangles much of this heath. Thanks the Lord .. the woodpile had been left intact. This heath holds one of the biggest adder colonies in the UK. As I looked about I despaired as to where the reptiles would hide, bask, mate, hunt and survive? As if to prove the importance of this isolated woodpile, I found a sloughed snake skin on the turf nearby.

 
Around the edge of the wood I found evidence of the usual suspects but saw none. Squirrel sign, a dead wood mouse left half eaten on a stump by an owl, fox scats, fresh deer droppings. Just as I snapped tree damage caused by a large deers gnawing I got a glimpse of a red stag stealing away into the forestry adjoining the heath. On the long walk back to the motor, I hoped to see a barn owl quartering as the dusk approached but I was to be disappointed. In case I’m putting you off a visit (I would like to keep this place secret, but I’m too late!) I should be honest and list the species I’ve watched here in the past. As well as those mentioned above .. tawny owl, woodcock, snipe, cuckoo, sparrowhawk, buzzard, kestrel, turtle dove, roe deer muntjac deer, red deer, stoat, fox, grass snake. Not mention a plethora of butterfly, plant and insect species. One of my favourite beetles, the Minotaur, is abundant here.

So I had poor reward (with the camera) for my walk and much concern about the management of this site. Yet .. I am no university educated ecologist. I’m just a simple amateur naturalist and shooter. What did concern me, however, is that many of my shooting permissions hold a much more diverse winter ecology than this SSSI (Site of Specific Scientific Interest). This site should be a treasure so why do I feel I just touched fools gold?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment